Monday, February 22, 2010

The plan

My husband and I want to be on The Amazing Race. Good, now we have a statement of intent. But how are we going to make it happen? We’re both young, but a tad on the chubby side. Not exactly ready for running across the French Countryside with 40 pound packs, or really anything particularly athletic. However, we didn’t used to be this way. We were both athletes at one time (I was big into soccer, basketball, and water polo; he participated in cross-country as well as basketball). But desk jobs, and—let’s just be honest—too much beer have lead to our collective widening.

We’ve wanted to be on The Race together since we started dating in 2007. We watch each season of the show discussing who would take on certain roadblocks and which detour task we would choose. As we started watching the most recent season we determined we would actually try to get on the race, but not before we were certain we wouldn’t be the chubby team trailing behind and losing in the first leg because while other teams were fighting for first, we were fighting for breath. While watching the first episode, I decided we should create a weekly training plan based on what we saw in that week’s episode. Then, with the combination of nightly jogs, we would use the show itself as an example of what to practice. Immediately we recognized the need for me to learn to drive stick, and for him to hone his observation skills.

I am keeping this blog as a means of motivation and to keep my friends up to date on our progress. This way they can pretend they are following along, and I won’t be constantly harassing them with emails.

Our challenge starts with Episode 2 of Season 16.

No comments:

Post a Comment